The creative assignment in the form of an essay is often encountered in schools and universities. It is a form of examination for admission to foreign universities. The essay should be written by eleventh graders during the final examination in the language of instruction.
In this article, you will find useful information on how to prepare for this genre.
WHAT IS AN ESSAY?
A succinct statement of one’s own judgments and views on a socially important topic is defined as an ‘essay’. It is a prose work, which is primarily a genre of fiction and journalism. Writing essays in schools and universities has the specific purpose of teaching pupils and students how to present their thoughts in a reasoned manner, support their judgment with examples, and analyze, compare and evaluate events and phenomena.
The free form of expression of thoughts in an essay should still be supplemented with concrete life situations, and examples from literature, history, and the media. A distinctive feature of this genre is the author’s individual considerations, impressions, and evaluations. More attention is given to impressions and reasoning than to facts.
Someone may ask “Can someone write my paper for me?” the answer is yes if you struggling with writing or you waste ideas you can use a writing service to help to make your life easier and time more productive.
The essay has other attributes that set it apart from creative writing:
- free-associative composition;
- a simple, clear form of presentation;
- relevance of the problem discussed;
- thesis statement.
The use of this genre in the learning process will enable students to develop
- the ability to argue and make their point of view with the help of relevant examples;
- associative and critical thinking skills;
- the ability to present their arguments in a logical and coherent manner.
The essay as a form of assessment in language and literature allows you to show the depth and logic of your thinking, creativity, the richness of vocabulary, stylistic, spelling, and punctuation literacy. Your thoughts should be presented in the form of theses, which must be well supported by arguments.
TIPS ON HOW TO WRITE AN ARGUMENTATIVE ESSAY
Before you start writing, try several techniques for finding unique ideas: brainstorming, mental maps, free writing without internal censor, associative series, and flow of thoughts. If necessary, do more detailed research on the topic. Use different sources to find interesting examples and facts. Make an indicative outline of your essay.
Also, the work should have the essential elements of structure: introduction, main body, and conclusions. The main conditions for a high quality essay are originality, an unconventional approach to the presentation of thoughts, vivid examples, and non-trivial arguments.
Peculiarities of the composition and content of an argumentative essay:
- it is better to start the introduction with a quote, a question, a shocking or impressive fact, a statistic, a metaphor, a comparison, an “ironclad argument”, a story from your own life;
- then in the introduction, you should write your thesis statement for the problem, preferably with three arguments;
- each of the three arguments in a separate paragraph;
- use vivid and interesting examples to support your thesis;
- use linking words to make the transition between different ideas and paragraphs;
- alternate long sentences with short ones;
- in the conclusion paragraph, reiterate the thesis and offer your solution to the problem;
- the conclusion and introduction should focus on the problem.
When thinking about how to write an essay correctly, it is also worth considering the most common mistakes to avoid them. Here is a list of typical mistakes that can significantly reduce a grade:
- The volume is more than 300 words;
- deviation from the topic and problem;
- indication of more than one problem;
- unclear or identical arguments;
- lack of logical coherence between assertions and arguments;
- lack of coherence between parts of the work;
- lack of persuasive examples;
- common phrases and clichés;
- Uninteresting, boring language;
- Mixing of several styles;
- Spelling, punctuation, and lexical errors.
The ability to compose a coherent text, give out new ideas and improvise with words needs to be carefully developed. I hope these tips will be useful for all readers. Good Luck with this hard, but the interesting journey!