To cater to the need to access a blazing-fast internet, millions set up Nighthawk mesh extenders in their homes. During the Netgear extender setup, it is advised to change the default WiFi settings of your extender. If you don’t do so, unauthorized users will find it easy to connect to your extender’s network. Not only this, they can access your personal data too.
If you are looking for a guide to change your Nighthawk mesh extender’s WiFi settings, then we have prepared one for you. Read this article to know how can you change the default WiFi settings of your extender.
Steps to Change WiFi Settings of Nighthawk Mesh Extender
- Power Up your Netgear Extender
- Plug your Nighthawk mesh extender into a power source.
- Switch on the Power button.
- Do not proceed until the power LED on your Nighthawk mesh extender stabilizes.
- Connect Your WiFi Devices
- Grab an Ethernet cable.
- Connect your Nighthawk mesh extender and router using an Ethernet cable.
- Switch On Your Computer
- After establishing a connection between your Nighthawk mesh extender and the router, turn on your computer.
- Open a web browser like Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Edge, Apple Safari.
- Go to the address bar of your web browser and type www.mywifiext.net in it.
- Press the Enter key.
- Log in to Your Nighthawk Mesh Extender
- You will be prompted to log in to your Nighthawk mesh extender.
- So, enter the default username and password of your Nighthawk mesh extender into the required fields.
- Click the Log In button.
- Change WiFi Settings
- The Netgear Genie setup wizard will appear.
- Now, click Settings > Wireless option.
- The Wireless Settings page will be displayed.
- To change the SSID, enter a new network name into the Network Name (SSID) field.
- Enter the new password into the WiFi Password field.
Note: Do not set your personal details as Netgear extender’s WiFi password. Instead, use something that is difficult to crack.
- Let the Changes Become Effective
- After entering the new SSID and password, click the Apply button.
- The WiFi settings of your Netgear extender will be saved.
Once done, reconnect your WiFi-enabled devices to the Netgear extender’s network and enjoy accessing the internet.
Points to Remember While Changing WiFi Settings
Here’s a list of points that will prevent you from facing the issues while changing the WiFi settings of the Nighthawk mesh extender:
- Plugging your Nighthawk mesh extender into a short-circuited wall socket is omitted as it can cause damage to your WiFi device.
- For a steady connection between your Nighthawk mesh extender and the router, use an Ethernet cable. But, do not use a damaged Ethernet cable as it can create trouble for you while changing your extender’s WiFi settings.
- Type the correct default web address to access the Netgear Genie setup wizard. Also, don’t type it in the search bar of your web browser.
- Use an updated web browser to change your Nighthawk mesh extender’s WiFi settings. Do not forget to clear its cache, cookies, and browsing history so that your browser won’t run a cached version of the extender login page.
- Enter the correct default username and password to log in to your Nighthawk mesh extender. It is highly advised to avoid typos while doing so as the default login details are case-sensitive.
- Do not refresh your web browser amidst the process of changing your Nighthawk extender’s WiFi settings. This may interrupt the process.
Here, our guide to change the default WiFi settings of Nighthawk mesh extender ends. With the help of aforementioned steps, you will surely be able to change your extender’s WiFi settings and make it more secure.