Health has always been a priority for leading a healthy and more fulfilled life and it holds true even more in this fast paced life that we are leading. Everyone is constantly busy trying to prove themselves worthy, or trying to earn more money, or trying harder at their 9 to 5 jobs. Our lives are continuously moving in a circle; a circle of constant pursuit. We are all occupied physically, mentally and emotionally with the thought of doing better than we already are in order to bridge the gap between our present life and the kind of life we have dreamed of.
While we are putting up with the daily hustle and bustle of life, in order to climb the social ladder and making it big, the area that ends up taking a hit is our health. It is of prime importance that the body is fueled in a proper manner and given adequate amount of rest since it needs to rejuvenate itself in order to start working again. The human body is akin to a machine, that needs overhauling, fueling, rest and reset from time to time. The reason health is drawing so much more attention towards it these past couple of years is due to the ever changing lifestyle. With economies growing, incomes rising and the expenditure of people rising proportionately to the rise in income structure, there is direct pressure on individuals to maintain a social status. By associating individual self-esteem and achievement to the kind of lifestyle one is living, there is always an added mental pressure to do more and do better.
It is truly said that comparison is the killer of joy, since pitting one’s life and lifestyle against someone else only adds to stress and nothing more. But in this dog eat dog world, this cannot be helped. Everyone is eyeing that promotion, everyone is giving those extra hours in office, everyone wants straight A’s in papers and while being competitive is not bad, it has resulted in people forgetting to enjoy the present and forgetting to live their lives one day at a time.
Health does not just comprise physical health. It comprises physical, mental and emotional well-being and therefore, one cannot be called healthy if all these boxes are not ticked. Even if you have previously been ignorant of your physical and mental health, it is never too late to start. Here are certain tips to help you advance on that journey:
- Proper Sleep: This does sound like the most no brainer advice that one can come across but the importance of sleep cannot be stressed enough. Sleep has a huge role to play on the kind of life individuals lead. The quality of sleep is directly proportional to the health of an individual. When a person feels tired, their usual first thought is to go to sleep, since that is the easiest and most convenient way to feel refreshed and energized. That speaks volume about the importance of sleep and what is does. It is quintessential since it makes the body regain its strength to work and stay active. Working late nights, staying up late and messing up with the sleep cycle does silent harm to the body that results in fatigue, perpetual feeling of being tired, heavy and droopy eyelids etc. Thus, sleep is one of the basic things one needs to set straight and get right in order to feel relaxed and have an overall holistic well-being.
- Eating healthy: Another extremely basic yet commonly ignored aspect to stay fit and healthy is to eat right. Apart from getting proper and enough sleep, something basic that helps keep the body healthy is to feed it proper nutrients and in the right quantity. Our bodies are like computers; they give the output based on the input that is being fed to them. If you feed it right, it is bound to show and vice versa.
The lack of proper balanced diet can lead to serious illnesses in the body in the long run. A diet that is complete, should include all the essential vitamins, minerals, proteins and should have the right amount of carbs and fiber as well. Also, a diet rich in fiber ensures proper digestion, resulting in good gut health, which is essential for the overall well-being of the body.
- Digital fasting: A major reason behind stress these days is social media. The influence it has on people is humungous and that is one reason why people think that everyone out there is leading a better life than they are. To avoid that and to keep your peace, it is important that one takes a digital fast from time to time.
- Exercising and keeping the body active: It goes without saying, that in order to stay fit and healthy, one needs to stay active and keep the body moving. The daily working hours requires most people to be chained to their desks. In such a scenario, it becomes even more important to take out at least half an hour or fifteen minutes for the body. Exercise does not mean that you have to instantly go and take a gym membership. No! Even a regular 20 minute walk every single day, can bring a lot of difference. If you need to read up more about health and relaxation, the rest and digest wellness website is a great way to gain knowledge on the subject.
- Stress management: It would not be an exaggeration to say that the disease that every other person is suffering from is stress and it has become no less than a pandemic. Since stress can be called a magnet for various other diseases, it becomes even more important that stress is dealt with in the right way. Yoga and meditation are known to help deal with stress effectively and keep the mind and body at ease.
- Quit alcohol and smoking: Drinking alcohol and smoking are seen as cool in the new era, but drinking and smoking can cause irreparable damage to the body. One should quit smoking and drinking altogether in order to stay fit, both in body and in mind.
- Develop a hobby: In a time when loneliness has become a major reason for depression, it is important that people know how to spend time with themselves without feeling the need to be around other people constantly. This brings to light, the importance of hobbies. Hobbies are activities that people like to do in their leisure time and that brings them joy, if nothing else. It is therefore important that people cultivate hobbies so that they have something that brings them that inner happiness and satisfaction.
Life is beautiful and must be enjoyed at all cost. One should learn to live in the present and enjoy every single day, without letting the burdens of the future take over. Taking time out for oneself, spending time with family and loved ones, nurturing your hobbies and connecting with your inner self are some ways that can help in achieving a more fun-filled and fulfilled life. Small steps lead to big changes, but it all starts with a single step.