For many people, the idea of losing their hair is horrifying. In a world of social media, video calls, and selfies, our appearance can feel more important these days than ever before. Not only that, but having a full head of healthy hair represents social ideals of youth and vitality. So of course it’s only natural that people want to do everything they can to avoid hair loss. The condition is surprisingly common, but the good news is that there are ways you can prevent and treat it. Read on to find out more.
What causes hair loss?
There are many different possible causes of hair loss, with both external and internal factors coming into play. Some of the most common include:
- Genetics: for example, male pattern baldness is often a result of hereditary genes
- Hormones: hormonal changes, for instance those due to pregnancy, childbirth, or menopause, can sometimes cause hair loss
- Stress: it’s common for stressful life events such as divorce, job loss, bereavement, or a global pandemic to trigger hair loss
- Damage: your hair can be weakened by using too much heat on it when styling, or by harmful chemicals in lower-quality products
- Nutritional deficiencies: eating healthily is as important for your hair as the rest of your body, and if you’re lacking in certain vitamins and minerals (such as zinc, iron, omega-3 fatty acids, and vitamins A, C, and E) it can result in hair loss
- Certain medical conditions: hair loss can be a side effect of either the disease itself, or the treatment for it (such as chemotherapy for cancer)
- Aging: your hair naturally becomes finer and thinner as you get older, and tends to fall out more easily
How can I prevent or treat hair loss?
If you’re concerned about hair loss, there are plenty of steps you can take to either prevent or treat it. The right course of action for you will depend on the specific cause of your hair loss. For instance, if you are suffering from male pattern baldness that runs in your family, one of the most effective treatments is to buy finasteride. If you have a mild condition, it’s also possible to purchase special shampoos and conditioners that can help. You might want to try the natural way to fight hair loss using a hair growth serum from Allurium Beauty. Speak to your doctor about what’s most appropriate for your specific medical needs.
On the other hand, if your hair loss is triggered by lifestyle factors then try the following tips:
- Eat a balanced diet that’s rich in dark leafy greens, avocados, sweet potatoes, berries, nuts, and seeds
- Consider taking a vitamin supplement that’s crafted for optimum hair health
- Be gentle with your hair when brushing and styling it (for example, don’t wear it in a tight hairstyle)
- Don’t dye your hair too often, and always use products which are gentle on your locks
- Don’t wash your hair too often, and use a top-quality shampoo and conditioner when you do
- Turn down the heat on hair-styling tools, and don’t overuse them
- Try meditation and breathing exercises as a way to cope with stress
- Sleep on a silk pillowcase to reduce friction and protect your hair cuticles