QuickBooks is comprehensive accounting software that thousands of small and medium-sized business owners rely on. It comprises advanced features and technology that allow users to easily manage and monitor their work. However, this innovative accounting software sometimes encounters errors, requiring business owners to pause their work. One such issue is Quickbooks error -6189 -816 that has regularly been reported by users.
What is quickbooks error -6189 -816?
QuickBooks error -6189 – 816 is a technical problem that should be resolved as soon as possible to avoid further issues. This error prompts an error message “QuickBooks was unable to open the company file on the hosted computer”
This error message indicates that the user cannot access the QuickBooks company file.
This error can be fixed by following a few simple procedures, which we will discuss in the latter part of this article.
Causes of quickbooks error -6189 -816
The principal reasons for Quickbooks error -6189 -816 are listed below:
- This issue can occur if the transaction log file (TLG file) does not match the company file. The TLG file stores all of the company’s transactions and is automatically saved by QuickBooks accounting software..
- The file is then saved as (the name of the company file).qbw.tlgfile. This file cannot be accessed in order to convert into a company data file. As a result, when the QBW file is out of sync with its associated TLG file, QuickBooks displays errors -6198 -816.
- This error code may also appear in case of an update failure, which occurs when a user modifies a company file on a different computer without updating the transaction log file.
- Another common source of this problem is another user accessing the company files in single-user mode.
- This error is also caused by data corruption in the QuickBooks data files.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error -6189 -816
- Windows is sluggish and responds slowly to inputs
- Your computer frequently freezes.
- Your system crashes due to an error. -816 -6189
- The message “Error -6189 -816” shows on the screen, crashing the active program window.
How to fix QuickBooks Error -6189 -816?
With the help of the solutions provided below, it is simple to resolve Quickbooks error -6189 -816 without much difficulty:
Solutions 1: Utilize QuickBooks file doctor
The majority of the issues related to company files can be resolved by Quickbooks file doctor download.
Before performing the troubleshooting steps for Quickbooks error -6189 -816, ensure that you have updated QuickBooks to the most recent version. If you do not have the latest version, you must update it before attempting to resolve the issue with the QuickBooks file doctor tool.
- You are required to download and install the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool from Intuit’s official website.
- Also, make sure that you are logged in as an administrator and run the tool.
- On the screen, you will see two options:
- Both File Damage and Connectivity
- Network Connectivity Only
- You must choose the first option to identify the damaged file and to resolve the quickbooks error -6189.
- Next, when asked about the password, enter your Admin password.
- You will now be asked whether the company file is stored on a workstation or a server.
- If the file is located on the server, select “yes” else press “No”
- Click the “Proceed” button.
Solutions 2: You need to fix the Mismatch
The system will display the results of the error. The corrupted or damaged file should automatically be detected and repaired. If the problem persists, you can try the following troubleshooting steps: Fix the Mismatch
You must use the same system where the company file is saved. Then, rename the.ND and TLG files and proceed as follows:
- Locate and open the company folder
- Look for the company file. The TLG file and company file will have the same name but distinct extensions.
- Then rename the company file. Change the name or simply append “old” or anything else at the end of the file.
- Rename the transaction log file as well
- Exit the system now.
- Next, open the QuickBooks and see if you can access the company file.
Solutions 3: Single-Mode user Check
In case you are still experiencing Quickbooks error -6189 -816, continue to the Single-Mode user check:
- After making sure that all users are logged out, restart the computer
- Copy the data file once again or any location other than its source.
- Copy the data file to its original location once more.
- Sign in to QuickBooks with valid credentials.
The solutions to Quickbooks error -6189 -816 are listed above. If you are still unable to access QuickBooks, you can purchase Intuit’s Auto data recovery tool. You can also connect with the technical support team to fix the error code -6189 -816